Buzzsprout vs. Podbean – which hosting site will skyrocket your podcast and make it generate maximum revenue? Let’s discuss it below!
You need a good podcast platform, whether you want to post simple audio files or create more complicated recordings with special effects. Making the wrong hosting provider choice could significantly impact your podcast’s popularity and profitability!
Buzzsprout and Podbean are popular platforms used by thousands of podcasters. Both services are well-designed and will assist you in growing and monetizing your program. However, they have key differences you need to be aware of before making a final decision.
In this review, I’ve compared Buzzsprout versus Podbean in the crucial categories that matter to all podcasters. By the end, you’ll know everything about these platforms and which one is the better choice for your needs!
Podbean vs. Buzzsprout
Pricing Plan Comparison
I’ll start my Podbean vs. Buzzsprout comparison with the info that matters the most to all of us – pricing.
Being feature-rich hostings with plenty of advantages, both Podbean and Buzzsprout are excellent options. They offer free starting tiers for newbies and advanced paid tiers for professionals. But let’s take a closer look at their differences:
- Buzzsprout’s free plan includes top-notch statistics and as many team members as you need, making it an excellent choice for anyone wishing to test the waters and experiment with some of the advanced features for free. However, the platform only allows you two hours each month for your episodes, and they’ll be deleted in six months. While the capabilities of the Podbean free plan are not that generous, this platform does provide additional upload hours and limitless storage. You’ll also get a variety of customizable themes for your free podcast website.
- Although Podbean has higher charges for intermediate and professional podcasters, there are no additional fees, and this platform has more alternatives for individuals who wish to start making video podcasts. Moreover, it is less constrained by bandwidth than Buzzsprout.
- Podbean includes Business and Pro hosting plans, making it stand out by a mile compared to Buzzsprout. These plans are developed for networks and large businesses that need to expand their brand rather than informally share thoughts, ideas, and general content. In addition to excellent functionality, the Business and Pro tiers offer unlimited & convenient accessibility for team members, improved security, state-of-the-art analytics, and 24x7x365 customer care.
Podbean Pricing Plan
Buzzsprout Pricing Plan
Comparison of Statistics and Analytics
You can gain a thorough understanding of your audience and choose the most effective advertising and monetization strategies due to podcast analytics and statistics.
Comparing Buzzsprout vs. Podbean stats, I must admit both hostings work equally well, providing you with all the data you need to know for tracking progress and developing your show. Besides, they are IAB-certified, meaning their analytics meet all industry standards.
However, as I mentioned above, free advanced statistics are available for all of Buzzsprout’s plans, while Podbean provides only paid users with this feature. But what I like about Podbean’s stats is that it includes an exciting add-on – Engagement Intel that reveals whether or not your followers quit listening in the middle of an episode.
Distribution and Directory Comparison
If you want to broaden your podcast’s audience and exposure, you must submit it to reputable directories. Both Podbean and Buzzsprout offer the features and resources you need to distribute your shows across all streaming platforms, including Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, TuneIn + Alexa, iHeartRadio, Overcast, Pocketcasts, etc. Furthermore, both hostings make a submission as easy as possible – they provide step-by-step guides on how to become listed in each medium.
The only thing that makes this different is that Podbean lets you order episodes according to their numbers; this is a fantastic option if you have a serial show.
A website is an essential component of your brand’s identity; it provides quick access to all of your resources and aids in the development of closer relationships with your followers.
The podcast websites on both platforms are fully adaptable, allowing you to store episodes and other data, connect to directories and social media, and more. In other words, these platforms provide everything required to launch and develop a podcast.
However, there are some differences between Podbean’s and Buzzsprout’s sites:
- Podbean provides a free site for all its users, while Buzzsprout only for paid ones.
- You may receive updates for new followers and comments on Podbean’s website.
- Buzzsprout’s site allows adding info about the hosts and co-hosts of your podcast – your audience can learn more about the guys behind your show.
Although Podbean’s and Buzzsprout’s players have a few unique features of their own (e.g., several variations of players on Buzzsprout and video podcasting on Podbean), in general, they do what is expected of them – the players are simply embeddable, customizable, and have all necessary buttons for easy sharing and control.
Podbean audio player
Buzzsprout audio player
Newsletter and Sharing
Buzzsprout and Podbean are equally efficient in sharing your content, but they use different tools for that. So let’s take a look at them:
- Podbean shares your materials automatically on various social networks like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr, while Buzzsprout boasts an exclusive distribution feature – Visual Soundbites, which receives lots of clicks from followers.
- Podbean’s Mailchimp integration allows for sending newsletters to inform your subscribers about the latest posts and episodes. Buzzsprout offers shareable URL and episode-specific links.
- And, of course, both hosts support sharing content on your podcast site.
Both platforms give you several paid resources to promote your show and build listenership. However, Podbean is slightly forward here with its free Facebook community, where beginners can get to know other podcasters and introduce themselves. Thanks to this community, you can find free cross-promotional opportunities.
I highly appreciate Buzzsprout’s and Podbean’s sizable range of monetization tactics that let podcasters profit from their shows. Although their tools differ, I find them exceptionally efficient. All you have to do is figure out which platform strategies work better for you.
Here are the tools the platforms offer.
- Dynamic Add capabilities – pre- and post-rolls may be easily added to your present episodes for sharing, promoting, or advertising whatever you like. You can change them at any time!
- Affiliate marketplace – you’ll find many brands available for partnerships on this marketplace.
- Outside sponsors – list sponsors in your program descriptions.
- Donations – you may give your followers links to sites where they can donate to your show.
- Ad Marketplace – this tool offers sponsorship and advertising options. You have full control over how long the ads are, and you can stop your subscription at any time.
- PodAds – Dynamic ad insertion (DAI) allows you to create and manage your own advertising campaigns. In addition, Podbean features a one-of-a-kind Geo Targeting technology, which lets you focus your advertising efforts on a specific region.
- Premium Podcast – you may use this functionality to create an exclusive channel that fans can join for a one-time payment.
- Podbean Patron – your listeners can contribute monthly payments to Patron in exchange for various “rewards.”
Comparison of supported files and formats
Here, Buzzsprout and Podbean are completely different.
Those who only start podcasting and don’t know how to deal with numerous file formats will definitely appreciate Buzzsprout’s auto-modification tool that automatically encodes any audio or video files at 96k, adds required ID3 tags, and converts them to mono MP3 format without exceeding your monthly download limit.
On the other hand, Podbean is a perfect place for professional podcasters or those who want to experiment with various audio and video files – this platform supports literally any file format.
Both podcast hosts offer generous feature sets, however, their tools differ. Therefore, I made a comparison table so you can choose which tools and features will help you reach your goals faster.
|The Buzzsprout API (Application Programming Interface) – allows straightforward creation of integrations.||Mobile app – you can record and manage your podcast from your phone.|
|Buzzsprout provides blog posts, video tutorials, emails, and the podcast community for newbies.||Private podcasting for the Business plan – it enables the exchange of internal emails, video courses, and other content.|
|There is no limit to the number of people you can have on your podcast or the number of podcasts you can create with your account.||Transcription and closed caption tool – improves the program’s SEO and guarantees clear content accessibility.|
|Visual soundbites – a powerful medium for disseminating shows across social media.||Audio live streaming – communicate with your followers in a more personal way and give them a bit of exclusive content.|
|The magic mastering tool – elevates the audio quality of your podcast.||Video podcasting – unlike many of its competitors, Podbean includes video support.|
|Canva + Buzzsprout tool – provides tens of instruments for creating stunning artwork for your podcast.|
|Chapter markers tool – split up longer episodes into chapters. The audience will know what to expect.|
|Episode transcription – it raises the ranking of your material on search engines and makes your podcast more accessible to hearing-impaired listeners.|
Which is better, Podbean or Buzzsprout?
Buzzsprout and Podbean are industry-leading hosts that have cemented their places in the podcasting world. They both are reliable, user-friendly, customizable, and provide their subscribers with various bells and whistles.
Here are some of their main advantages:
Advantages of Podbean over Buzzsprout
- Buzzsprout features lower prices for higher tiers.
- Even the basic plan includes access to advanced analytics and an unlimited number of users.
- Plenty of extra features.
Advantages of Buzzsprout over Podbean
- Better selection of plans.
- Allows video podcasting.
- Allows more hours of content each month.
To sum up, your ideal platform between Podbean and Buzzsprout will depend on your requirements, financial constraints, and the features & tools you want from the podcast hosting provider. But, anyway, you can’t go wrong with either Podbean or Buzzsprout!